- Ministry of Justice Criminal Record Check (Click HERE for the information on how to get it done online)
- Minimum age of 14 years old
- Availability weekdays between the hours 8:30am and 6:00pm – we currently do not offer classes evenings or weekends.
- The ability to commit to attending in the same 2 ½ hour time slot once per week for the 8 week session. *there are exceptions to this. Some volunteers can only manage 1 hour per week, others come out for a full morning or afternoon or a few days per week!
- A reasonable fitness level – must be able to walk for 45 minutes straight with some short jogs (the long side of a riding arena).
Orientation for NEW Volunteers
NOTRA hosts two volunteer orientation dates each year, one prior to each spring and fall riding session. Come out for a tour of the facility, view our volunteer training video and learn what it is that we do and why we do it! This is your opportunity to see if volunteering with NOTRA is the right fit for you. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer then you will sign up for one or more of our volunteer training clinics.
Fall Session Orientation for NEW volunteers – Tuesday, Sept. 5th 6:30 – 8:00pm at the NOTRA Facility at O’Keefe Ranch
Each of our volunteers whether they are new or returning needs to participate in at least one volunteer training clinic prior to the start of each session. These will be opportunities to work with the horses hands on, learn and refresh skills as a leader or sidewalker and get an idea of what activities are planned for the up and coming session. Come dressed to ride!
CLINIC #1: At the NOTRA Facility – Tuesday, September 12th 2pm – 4pm *Call or text 250-549-0105 or email email@example.com to RSVP so we can plan for how many will be coming.
CLINIC #2: At the NOTRA Facility – Wednesday, September 13th 10am – 12pm *Call or text 250-549-0105 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP so we can plan for how many will be coming.
To select the time during the week that you would like to volunteer for the 8 weeks of the Spring Session, click HERE . If you are unsure at this point and would like to attend the Orientation for NEW Volunteers first, there will be an opportunity on that day to sign up. *The link to the sign up spreadsheet sometimes doesn’t work from a phone or tablet. You can email Dani at email@example.com to let her know the time you have chosen if you aren’t able to fill it in yourself.
DOWNLOAD our Volunteer Information HERE
DOWNLOAD our Introduction to Volunteering Manual HERE
Volunteering opportunities are not limited to working with the horses and riders during the sessions. Other areas where volunteers are greatly needed:
- Horse chores – paddock cleaning and horse feeding
- Farm hands – trailering horses, hauling hay & feed, etc. (*experience necessary)
- Grounds maintenance & repairs
- Special events (such as our Ride-A-Thon and the IPE)
- Smaller fundraisers (hot dog sales, raffles)
- The Board of Directors